Best Thing Piked During a Club Trip:
Best Shuttle bunny:
Best Club Hook up:
Club Bike:
Club Lightweight:
Club Mess:
Best Hair:
Best Costume on a Trip:
Last edited by Jrob on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Robertson, 16364521

Staples
First Year Rep.

Re: Club Awards 2017/2018

Postby Staples » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:23 pm

Most Improved First Year: Valentin
Most Improved Second Year: JRob
Most Improved Third Year: Podge
Most Improved Fourth Year: Aoife
Best OFB: Luke

Biggest Beater: Grealish
Biggest Social Paddler: Folan

Best Kayaking video: This is a recent favourite
Best Photograph: idk
Best Club Trip: Does the Alps last summer still count? Everyone needs to do at least one Alps trip
Best Day on the River: The high water caher day a few months back when your man gave us shuttle to the top was sound. Upper Gauley for a non Ireland day
Best Club Moment: Ye managed 2nd at varsities and were only a hair away from first!
Worst Club Moment: Being a hair away from first
Best Quote of the Year: Has there been one this year?
Best/Funniest Injury: Tiernan banjaxing himself on top section of the Boluisce
Best Spanking on a River: I still have mild hole related PTSD from that swim at Aashleigh falls
Best House Party: I don't think I've been to any this year
Best Brew at a Party: See above ^

Best Thing Piked During a Club Trip: idk
Best Shuttle bunny: Luke
Best Club Hook up: Me and Phoebe (my party braaap)
Club Bike: Rob has the fanciest bike in the club these days!
Club Lightweight: Carey
Club Mess: idk
Best Hair: Jack Dunne
Best Costume on a Trip: Toasters
Ronan Stapleton

Fergal.Staples1

Postby Fergal.Staples1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:22 pm

Most Improved First Year: James and Valentin have both really impressed me this year, keep it up guys.
Most Improved Second Year: Carey for improving both as a paddler and an instructor, also she's generally always up for paddling which is a bonus
Most Improved Fourth Year: Aoife for her varsities display
Best OFB: Staples for taking me kayaking

Biggest Beater: Have to give a special mention to Staples here for cracking his boat on her first real Irish outing
Biggest Social Paddler: Mick and Ella, are you guys even registered with the club?

Best Kayaking video: https://youtu.be/g6_amN3rzEU
Best Photograph: Not sure, has unfortunately not been many photos taken
Best Club Trip: Despite biblical flows on Aashleagh, Donegal was a success, but Varsities just edges it for me due to the result.
Best Day on the River: First time on the Glens was pretty sweet
Best Club Moment: Coming second in Varsities
Worst Club Moment: Just losing varsities by 2.5 points was rough
Best Quote of the Year: Can't have a year go by without Frodo getting a mention "Fergal, I'll smear nutella on my chest if you lick it off". Didn't he say this last year too?
Best/Funniest Injury: Luke wankering himself in Donegal was gas
Best Spanking on a River: https://vimeo.com/241734619 beater
Best House Party: They've all been pretty good
Best Brew at a Party: Buckfast Milkshake at crib crawl

Best Thing Piked During a Club Trip: Does our effort with UCD stealing first place from UL count?
Best Shuttle bunny: Laoise, for carting me everywhere and only threatening to kick me out of the car once
Best Club Hook up: Tiernans face and rocks seem to be becoming a steady thing, not sure I approve
Club Bike: Henry's bike is dead sexy
Club Lightweight: Dan definitely
Club Mess: Luke, for his antics at varsities and donegal
Best Hair: Jrob, oh wait...
Best Costume on a Trip: Luciens fetish for toasters

careyisastar

Postby careyisastar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:02 pm

Staples wrote:Club Lightweight: Carey

No! I refuse to get this again this year! I AM NOT A LIGHTWEIGHT
Carey Georgius
Secretary
sceretary@nuigkc.com
087 224 8424

careyisastar

Postby careyisastar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Most Improved First Year: Does James count? Not only has he turned into a great paddler, but he has really stepped up as first year rep on the committee. He went into the role with very little knowledge of it and has been so reliable and willing to help with anything.
Most Improved Second Year: Fergal
Most Improved Third Year: Laoise
Best OFB: Barry

Biggest Beater: Staples but only on Ashleagh :laugh:
Biggest Social Paddler: Ella and Michaela How did you manage coming to varsities and not paddling??

Best Kayaking video: Luke's Alps Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBkQrsq5aLk)
Best Photograph: Thanks to Tess we have some great ones from 'Donegal' 2k17! Here's my personal favourite:
Bootie Beers.JPG
Bootie Beers.JPG (4.1 MiB) Viewed 767 times

Best Club Trip: This year's 'Donegal' trip was great! It was a bit of stress to organise, but it went really well and I'm so glad Frodo made it back!
Best Day on the River: Honestly some of my favourite days this year have been on the lower. Especially recently when I get to see how far you first-years have come. It's so encouraging to see your enthusiasm and I can't wait to see how far you'll go next year!
Best Club Moment: Coming second at varsities. It was so nice to see everyone come together as a club and helping/supporting each other on and off the water.
Worst Club Moment: Coming second by 2 and a half points....
Best Quote of the Year: "I expected that from Fergal, not you" -Laoise, threatening to throw me out of her car on the way to Tuam
Best/Funniest Injury: Does cracking Phoebe (Staple's braaap) at Ashleagh last week count?
Best Spanking on a River: I'm being selfish, but my beat-down on Ashleagh at Donegal was pretty rough.
Best House Party: Mark's, when we all found out at midnight that there was no college the next day
Best Brew at a Party: Buckfast Milkshake

Best Thing Piked During a Club Trip: I'm with Fergal. Stealing first at varsities from UL was pretty great!
Best Shuttle bunny: Laoise Thanks for always taking me along :*
Best Club Hook up: Tess and Fergal :inlove:
Club Bike: ...sorry Tess, but no one else stepped up to their full potential this year ;-(
Club Lightweight: Levi
Club Mess: Luke
Best Hair: Aine
Best Costume on a Trip: Goth Frodo
Goth Frodo.jpg
Goth Frodo.jpg (4.22 MiB) Viewed 767 times
Carey Georgius
Secretary
sceretary@nuigkc.com
087 224 8424

laoiseplunkett

Postby laoiseplunkett » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Most Improved First Year: For a semester 2 first year, Celine's paddling really well
Most Improved Third Year: Daniel Gaine
Best OFB: Con

Biggest Beater: .. probably me :-(

Best Kayaking video:
Best Photograph:
Best Club Trip: I really enjoyed the Dunkellin trip at the end of first semester
Best Day on the River: Aasleagh Falls with Carey and Ferg
Best Club Moment: Placing second at varsities
Worst Club Moment: Placing second at varsities...
Best Quote of the Year: "The amount of time you spend looking at a hole before running a rapid is directly proportional to the amount of time you will spend in it." - Con
Best/Funniest Injury: :-?: noone's crippled themselves memorably this year
Best Spanking on a River: Tiernan had a pretty bad run at Donegal
Best House Party: the first Wednesday night of the year in Bun Caise
Best Brew at a Party: I haven't been to many

Best Thing Piked During a Club Trip: Didn't we steal anything this year?
Best Shuttle bunny: Regan, for driving my car home from the Glens
Best Club Hook up: Tessa & Fergal
Club Bike: There seemed to be a different erasmus student leaving Lucien's room every Thursday morning of first semester :-?:
Club Mess: Luke :laugh:
Best Hair:
Best Costume on a Trip: AA at varsities

careyisastar

Postby careyisastar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:47 pm

laoiseplunkett wrote:Best Quote of the Year: "The amount of time you spend looking at a hole before running a rapid is directly proportional to the amount of time you will spend in it." - Con

Can we get this on a t-shirt?
Carey Georgius
Secretary
sceretary@nuigkc.com
087 224 8424

Tiernan Stapleton

Postby Tiernan Stapleton » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Most Improved First Year: Valentin

Biggest Beater: Ronan Beater Stapleton
Biggest Social Paddler: Ella & Mick without a doubt.

Best Kayaking video: Luke's Alps video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBkQrsq5aLk
Best Photograph: I put a lot of effort into this monstrosity
CareyDerpyOutline.jpg
CareyDerpyOutline.jpg (952.34 KiB) Viewed 745 times

Best Club Trip: Alps if it counts, otherwise that day on the Bundoragha was pretty good.
Best Day on the River: Paddy's Day paddle was a recent highlight
Best Club Moment: How did we do so well in Varsities again?
Worst Club Moment: Behind the scenes, but semester 1 committee was an absolute shit show.
Best Quote of the Year:
Best/Funniest Injury: Luke banjaxing his shoulder at Donegal
Best Spanking on a River: Ronan's pre-Donegal river scout
Best House Party: Snow House Party was full of shenanigans
Best Brew at a Party: Crib crawl rocket fuel (The bucky milkshake was rank...)

Best Thing Piked During a Club Trip: UL's varsity streak
Best Shuttle bunny: Laoise's really been racking up the mileage this year
Best Club Hook up:Tessa & Fergal
Club Bike: It's a tie between Rob's and Henry's...
Club Lightweight:
careyisastar wrote:No! I refuse to get this again this year! I AM NOT A LIGHTWEIGHT

I would go for Carey, but she has improved, and Levi just about takes the cake for me.
Best Hair: :!!:
Best Costume on a Trip: The AA t-shirts for Varsities actually turned out really well.
Tiernan :-o

l.whelan11
Treasurer

Postby l.whelan11 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:43 pm

I'd just like to start this post by responding to the downright slander being directed at me in this thread. I have no memory of ever being severely intoxicated at any club event so I feel it's safe to say that these allegations are completely misguided and totally inappropriate. Moving on...

Most Improved First Year: I've unfortunately not been able to paddle with as many of you as I would have liked, but Imma go with James on this one
Most Improved Second Year: Fergal and Carey
Most Improved Third Year: Laoise and Podge have shown great dedication this year
Most Improved Fourth Year: Aoife getting so many medals at Varsities was class
Best OFB: Cathal Kelly has been training a lot these days and I think it really has shown in the last few comps
Best fake club paddler: Rob for doing class at Varsities also

Biggest Beater: Laoise, but in the best way possible. Throwing yourself at rivers like I throw myself at floors
Biggest Social Paddler: Ella and Michaela representin'

Best Kayaking video: Lucien's video for the hilarious comments that ensued
Best Photograph: Horse heads at Varsities freestyle
FreestyleVarsities.jpg
FreestyleVarsities.jpg (124.18 KiB) Viewed 603 times

Best Club Trip: Donegal was good overall I thought
Best Day on the River: At home: four laps of the Flesk at Kerry and one lap on some other creek (the Owensheen?). Abroad: three different sections of the Soca in one day during high water
Best Club Moment: not losing to UL at Varsities for what would have been my fifth year in a row
Worst Club Moment: waking up after Donegal
Best Quote of the Year: that one from Con is pretty spot on haha. Although I also like "any hole's a goal" from Keelan as a response to swimming at Aasleagh Falls
Best/Funniest Injury: I was hoping for maybe a spoon through Aoife's hand this year, no luck on that yet though :/
Best Spanking on a River: Dan's swim on the first gorge of the Flesk was a nice little beatdown, I might upload a little clip of it here in a few days...
Best House Party: haven't been to many really
Best Brew at a Party: only one I can think of is the nice little Absenth tasting session at Bun Caise we had there, which was awful

Best Thing Piked During a Club Trip: we need to remember this award for the future, and atually pike something
Best Shuttle bunny: Seems like Laoise is doing a great job this year
Best Club Hook up: Fergal and Tessa
Club Bike: I just want to acknowledge the fact that we have moved passed slut shaming in the club and are all referring to actual bicycles now. That being said, Brad is an absolute slag.
Club Lightweight: me. Ironically, I blame not drinking enough
Club Mess: no u
Best Hair: Henry's hair? Well done Henry
Best Costume on a Trip: toaster necklaces, where the fuck did that come from
Luke Whelan

Could've been a little bit higher

DiarmuidM

Postby DiarmuidM » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:56 pm

Most Improved First Year: If James counts as a first year, then definitely James
Most Improved Second Year: Mark, Cathal and Caoilfhinn have been in flying form this year
Most Improved Fourth Year: Aoife cleaning up at Varsities
Best OFB: Luke

Biggest Beater: That video of Carey hitting the rock at the top of Aesleigh looked nasty but definitely Staples
Biggest Social Paddler: Mick and Ella

Best Kayaking video: Higgins' carnage reel making a return
Best Photograph: Agreed with Luke here, the horse heads were a great idea
Best Club Trip: Donegal
Best Day on the River: Didn't get to paddle as much as I wanted this year but "Donegal" was really fun
Best Club Moment: Beating UL
Worst Club Moment: Losing to UCD, there's been many a sleepless night rethinking that one :rofl:
Best Quote of the Year: "NUIG is the gentleman of Varstities, always coming second" - Luke Whelan
Best/Funniest Injury: Eoin keeping the trend of a shoulder injury every Autumn for three years running
Best Spanking on a River: Staples at Aesleigh
Best House Party: Donegal definitely
Best Brew at a Party: Bucky Ice Cream

Best Thing Piked During a Club Trip:
Best Shuttle bunny: Laoise was driving all over the place but I'd say Aoife for driving for Varsities this year was a godsend
Best Club Hook up: Tess and Fergal
Club Bike: My tiny blue mountain bike that died when the tyre burst, wheel came off and brake fork cracked (anyone want to buy a bike?)
Club Lightweight: Levi for still carrying the name Ambulance Boi
Club Mess:
l.whelan11 wrote:I'd just like to start this post by responding to the downright slander being directed at me in this thread. I have no memory of ever being severely intoxicated at any club event so I feel it's safe to say that these allegations are completely misguided and totally inappropriate. Moving on...

Best Hair: Frodo's goth hair
Best Costume on a Trip: Frodo
Last edited by DiarmuidM on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diarmuid Magorrian
Captain
captain@nuigkc.com

RoryQ
P.R.O.

Postby RoryQ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:35 am

Most Improved First Year: I guess Valentin counts here? He doing a lot of paddling which was awesome to see.

Most Improved Second Year: A tie between Ferg and JRob maybe? Ferg has gone leaps and bounds but James has improved a heck of a lot too, special mention to Cathal and Mark as well they've really improved

Most Improved Third Year: Honestly don't know to be quite honest, the guys and gals are always improving so it's hard to make a choice here...

Most Improved Fourth Year: Same as the most improved Third Year Q_Q

Best OFB: just gonna say Grealish so he doesn't try to fight me at sports ball...(Luke was great craic this year imo)

Biggest Beater: honestly no idea...

Biggest Social Paddler: idk I kinda wanna say me cos I did sweet f*ck all this year in terms of paddling but Ella & Mick seem to be the MVPs of this category this year :laugh:

Best Kayaking video: Jack Dunne's Alps video was G, so was Luke's recap of his summer

Best Photograph: laughed so much when I saw this kudos Staples

Best Club Trip: Intervarsities ended up pretty great, mostly because I somehow got away with a trip to Dublin without any ID :angel:

Best Day on the River: I mean am I even capable of voting for this...

Best Club Moment: The swim booties after the day on the water at Donegal was good craic.

Worst Club Moment: Coming second in varsities was definitely gutting knowing that it was partly because we did poorly in the only discipline I competed in :worried:

Best Quote of the Year: There was probably a good one at the parties but I was pretty messy this year so I remember none :-?:

Best/Funniest Injury: how many times has Eoin screwed his shoulder now?

Best Spanking on a River: None come to mind personally but isn't that the trend here at this rate :tmi:

Best House Party: I'd prolly have said Donegal if I was conscious for the majority of it

Best Brew at a Party: missed practically all the big HPs this year so idk ;-(

Best Thing Piked During a Club Trip: prolly just gonna chime in here with everyone and say Ul's win streak 8-)

Best Shuttle bunny: gonna be biased and say Eoin

Best Club Hook up: Tess n Ferg was hella cute

Club Bike: idk man I heard Lucien had a new erasmus lass come outta the bedroom every other day in first semester...

Club Lightweight: after hearing the stories of Luke at varsities and *Donegal* I feel like he came out top.

Club Mess: I'd have said Luke for this too if not for Levi and the ambulance incident :rofl:

Best Hair: I feel like I'm obligated to say Henry here

Best Costume on a Trip: a tie between the horse masks or the toasters
Rory Quinn
pro@nuigkc.com
086 301 4143 :call:

Jrob

Postby Jrob » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Most Improved First Year: Kelsey started paddling in January during fierce weather with session sizes of like 5-6 people and now she can hand roll, thats pretty sick like.

Most Improved Second Year: There's this myth that Carey has swam a few times this year but Ive yet to see it so it hasnt actually happened. Seriously though, shes been a great instructor, great craic on peer sessions and she killed committee this year.

Most Improved Third Year: I wouldn't really know but Laoise absolutely tanked the rapids one day, rolled like 3-4 times , lost paddles and hand rolled 3-4 times too. Cleaned up at Galway Fest and shes great for pushing you so you're actually learning. Goes without saying, 40 years ball was class too.

Most Improved Fourth Year: Kinda the same as third years, i dont really know. But Aoife destroyed Varsities which really dragged us up the ladder. Watching Aoife and the older lads at Galway Fest really shows you what you should be aiming for as a paddler too.

Best OFB: Man this is hard to choose. Staples has given me more lifts this semester than my mother. Ran my level 2 and the intermediate sessions taught me so much last semester.
Still don't know how Luke managed at Varsities, absolute machine like. 3 days of a tonne of paddling and 3 days of 2 tonnes of drinking. Astounding.
Con does this weird thing where he explains something big and scary so simply that you kind of just blink at him, try it and it actually bloody works. Unbelievable wealth of knowledge and just watching him paddle makes you want to keep up kayaking.

Biggest Beater: Not even joking but poor Phoebe got fairly beat yesterday getting on the canal at Jury's and I've heard other stories of Staples abusing her.

Biggest Social Paddler: Mick and Ella. No contest.

Best Kayaking video: Gotta be Lukes Alps Video. Ciaran's Galway Fest Video is cool too just because bagpipes.

Best Photograph:
30176894_810928472446625_1623327243_o.jpg
30176894_810928472446625_1623327243_o.jpg (198.72 KiB) Viewed 314 times

Best Club Trip: I loved the Bundorragha.

Best Day on the River: 40 Years Ball Jury's boatercross was hilarious craic.

Best Club Moment: 2nd in Varsities.

Worst Club Moment: Not necessarily a club moment but being questioned by the Gardai at Crib Crawl was a dampner on my evening.

Best Quote of the Year: "Ronan is just a fat fuck and she (Maggie) likes cooking"- Tiernan talking about Ronan and Maggie being together.

Best/Funniest Injury: Luke's shoulder at Donegal. So drunk that he started on gravity.

Best Spanking on a River: Laoise at the rapids that day. Was actually kinda scary to watch.

Best House Party: Mark Cahill's, Bobsleigh Trolley was the highlight.

Best Brew at a Party: Bun Caise Special: Bukfast Icecream

Best Thing Piked During a Club Trip: Everyone is saying beating UL but Fuck Trinity amiright?

Best Shuttle bunny: Staples

Best Club Hook up: I was awful jealous of Tessa stealing my boi last semester.

Club Bike: The stories about Lucien are still going.

Club Lightweight: Carey.

Best Hair: My balding head?

Best Costume on a Trip: Horse heads at freestyle
Last edited by Jrob on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Robertson, 16364521

PatrickB1718

Postby PatrickB1718 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Note: I'm basing some of this on what others have said as I havent been able to paddle as much as I Like

Most Improved First Year: James If he counts, If not, Valentin
Most Improved Second Year: Fergal/Carey Ye have both really come on as instructors and paddlers
Most Improved Third Year: Laoise

Biggest Beater: Biggest one I saw personally was when Tiernan fucked his arm on Boluisce
Biggest Social Paddler: Mick

Best Kayaking video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z6OW7tmAwQ&list=PLQNRrutVswcsHi8-fbzyPgW6oDsOxgcGO&index=1
Best Photograph: I have a few silly ones from my Time in UL but none from NUIG yet
Best Club Trip: Galway Fest was reportedly a huge success.
Best Day on the River: Second ever Boluisce Trip was really fun
Best Club Moment: Nouria Newman taking on Galway Fest
Worst Club Moment: Not winning Varsities
Best Quote of the Year: You could spend your time studying, but you could also come paddling - Con Literally every time he tries to convince me to paddle when I have other things to get done.
Best/Funniest Injury: Only Injury I saw was Tiernan on Boluisce
Best Spanking on a River: Staples over Itanda Falls
Best House Party:?
Best Brew at a Party:?

Best Thing Piked During a Club Trip:?
Best Shuttle bunny: Staples
Best Club Hook up: I haven't kept track
Club Bike: Diarmuid Considering he needs one for work
Best Hair: Henry
Best Costume on a Trip: AA (Varsities)

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Fergal.Staples1 wrote:Club Mess: Luke, for his antics at varsities and donegal

careyisastar wrote:Club Mess: Luke

laoiseplunkett wrote:Club Mess: Luke :laugh:

Tiernan Stapleton wrote:Club Mess: Luke

DiarmuidM wrote:Club Mess: (Luke)

RoryQ wrote:Club Mess: I'd have said Luke for this too if not for Levi and the ambulance incident :rofl:

Jrob wrote:Club Mess: Luke

PatrickB1718 wrote:Club Mess: Luke

l.whelan11 wrote:I'd just like to start this post by responding to the downright slander being directed at me in this thread. I have no memory of ever being severely intoxicated at any club event so I feel it's safe to say that these allegations are completely misguided and totally inappropriate. Moving on...

I see you're doing the OFBs proud Luke :rofl:
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

LeviN

Postby LeviN » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:43 am

DiarmuidM wrote: Levi for still carrying the name Ambulance Boi

As if I had a choice :-D
In my defense, one's a lightweight when when they get wrecked after drinking a little. Doesn't count when you drink a lot and get destroyed.

Return to “Kayak Club General Chat”