Alps 2017 Logistics

Everything and anything on NUIGKC trips to the Alps
Roisin M

Alps 2017 Logistics

Postby Roisin M » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:02 pm

I thought it would be a good idea just to compile all the info on the logistics of running this years Alps Trip :rofl:

Lets keep this fact based ... if any1 has thoughts on how things should be done differently then please comment here http://nuigkc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5585

Van Info
Van driver must be 25 for insurance purposes, two drivers is recomended. The only van hire company in Galway that lets you take vehicles to Europe is Vanhire.ie (They're not great with answering emails or the phone best just call in to them) Van rental cost 1900euros deposit 500euros.

Van Insurance
This year we got 3 kinds of insurance cover. The van can be insured under the college fleet policy (start nagging buildings and the sports office about this the minute ye know the trip is going ahead) Kathy may ask you for a risk assesment and trip schedule. From the college you will need a disk for the van windscrene, a copy of the policy for the van hire company and a green card for proof of cover abroad.The Premium is 105euro this must be paid upfront. The excess on the college insurance is 2500euro and it does not return the van to ireland if it breaks down so you need breakdown cover with repatriation. this year we went with AA Europian Breakdown cover that was 159euro. Finally I decided to get excess cover as an add on to my own personal insurance it was an extra 50euro with True Traveller.

Other Bits and Bobs
You legally need relective stickers, high vis jackets etc in your vehicle in france google this list before you go. You will also have to have your drivers licence with you.
E111 cards are very good to have.
An up to date Sat Nav is essential.
The Mt Blanc tunnel is bloody expensive avoid if possible.
Roisin Millard

Return to “Alps Chat”