Notes and Thoughts on the NUIGKC Alps Trips

Everything and anything on NUIGKC trips to the Alps
rlynch
O.F.B.

Notes and Thoughts on the NUIGKC Alps Trips

Postby rlynch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:25 am

The attached is a document put together from everyone's opinions on this year's trip.

Any questions or queries, fire away…

Notes and Thoughts on the NUIGKC Alps Trips.pdf
(94.1 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

Seaanie
O.F.B.

Re: Notes and Thoughts on the NUIGKC Alps Trips

Postby Seaanie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:45 pm

The level of input from actual club members was minimal, in fact members had to be persuaded to help. OFB's organised and ran the entire trip. Is another Alps trip even viable?

rlynch
O.F.B.

Postby rlynch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:02 pm

I'd say that's an issue that needs to be dealt with much more widely than just the Alps trip.
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

johns86

Postby johns86 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:00 pm

Bump! For those thinking of going on a club trip this year, read this. It should be discussed at the next meeting.
John 0863352900
Gtalk: johnstaunton86@gmail.com
msn: johns86@hotmail.com
www.d-john.com

johns86

Postby johns86 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:15 pm

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on the trip, put them up here. They may be useful for future trips to look back over.

I think that overall it was a huge success. A few unfortunate things like Simon's injury, but I guess that can happen any time.

- It might be good to pace yourself for the 2 weeks. The heat and constant going can make you tired, especially for drivers who cannot afford to be tired on long journeys.

- Making a group decision on a plan for the next day (rivers and leaving time) would be best so everyone knows when to be ready. Also have a backup plan in case a river is too high.

- running at least one river every day that the full group is comfortable on. The second river can be a step up for the more advanced people if wanted. For the next trip the first years will arrive on the second week anyway, so more easier rivers will be done then, but the same principle should still apply.

- It is a good idea to have a quick first aid refresher session before the trip so everyone knows what to do in such a situation. Also, it is good to run through some rescue/safety scenarios before going.

- Always over budget for everything. This year it worked as we didn't have any big unexpected expense and so have some left over, but its always good to have a big reserve if needed. It can be given back to people after.

- don't forget that on hot days rivers will always be higher in the afternoon than the morning.

There are plenty of other points to add on anything you feel is needed.
John 0863352900
Gtalk: johnstaunton86@gmail.com
msn: johns86@hotmail.com
www.d-john.com

Simon

Postby Simon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:11 pm

Obviously I wasn't there for too long, so don't have a lot of add, but here's my 2c.

-Be more careful when splitting groups up on the river. The first day we kind of had the two groups rammed together because of the rafters hoping on the river behind us. This meant that the instructions for the rapid were given to one group, and only kind of overheard by the other.

-If you think you should scout a rapid, scout it, even if it means you risk going over the time paddlers are supposed to be off the water.
mobile-0879179075
simonpgordon92@gmail.com

Roisin M

Postby Roisin M » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:31 am

Alps 2015 :rofl: 8-)

These are just some of my thoughts and notes on this years trip that might help organizers in the future!

- I won't go into organization too much as there will always be hiccups and complications but there are a few ground rules that are essential to establish from the beginning.
1. Attendance: Everyone should be attending the meetings if possible!! So its not a small group of people organising a holiday for everyone. Its a group effort
2. Payment: Everyone MUST pay all installments in full on time and all the money HAS TO be in the account a few days before van packing!
3. Everyone should have an E111 card and personal insurance.
4. It should be established at the beginning what the protocall is when/ if someone drops out/ can't go. Should there be a deposit?

Might be a good idea to put all of this years meeting minutes up so people can see all the organising we did. :-D :-D

- Making sure your helmet fits properly and is on tight is a good idea :emo:
- Spare paddles in also a good idea ;-(
- Having a non broken boat is preferable
- This year we did a debrief of the day every evening while eating dinner. This was great we all learned loads form each other.
- Sharing the responsibility of deciding what river to go to would be good rather then relying on one person to make a plan. Deciding the night before is key too to avoid faffing in the morning.
-Its a fucking AWESOME trip everyone should go on it :rock: :rock:

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM
Roisin Millard

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:30 am

Roisin M wrote:Alps 2015 :rofl: 8-)

- ground rules are essential to establish from the beginning.
- Spare paddles in also a good idea ;-(
- This year we did a debrief of the day every evening while eating dinner. This was great we all learned loads form each other.
- Sharing the responsibility of deciding what river to go to would be good rather then relying on one person to make a plan. Deciding the night before is key too to avoid faffing in the morning.
-Its a fucking AWESOME trip everyone should go on it :rock: :rock:
[/color]

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

Agree with what Roisin said,in particular the above points. Would just throw in that when 'deciding what river to go to' as a group, could be worth planning a few days ahead at a time. Gives people a chance to think about the plan and consider how they personally feel and give input on it, and also the timing of rest-days. Also saves the same conversation every evening

Another point Kevin brought up: it might be useful to bring a set or two of handiracks. Not for general day-to-day usages, but a few times when we needed to transport people quickly, we needed to shuttle to get the van in order to get the boats up. If we had handy racks things mighta been handier logistically.

This idea has the flaw that people might be tempted to use them more often than they should and that wouldn't be great for a rental roof.

Roisin M

Postby Roisin M » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:09 pm

BUMP :!!: :hai:
Roisin Millard

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am

Going to add my quick thoughts on the 2017 trip.

Good:
- Soça river is beautiful, and easily the best river to teach on. I'd recommend anyone who managed to scrape a level 3 to consider spending at least a few days on this to bring your skills up to scratch. I know myself at the time found this a bit boring and floaty, but looking back I can safely say that it got me in the mindset of peer paddling and leading a group again, after my hiatus in final year.
- Italy lived up to and surpassed expectations. Head straight here if the group is at a banter laps of the glens level, provided water levels play ball. Plenty of varied ww in both technicality and style. The majority of it is fairly cruisey boulder garden rapids interspersed with big holes.
- the weather. But then again that's not hard compared to Ireland.
- the food. The quality of it consistently surprised me, I only remember not being fond of one meal, and that was the "mystery meat" pasta
- planning. We were always good to have a plan and time of departure decided the previous day, AND WE STUCK TO IT. Probably the best thing we did all trip imo.

Bad:
- older members; Aran, Will, and in particular Roisin seemed to be taking the brunt of the work, especially early on. I know myself I was as bad, if not worse than others for relying on them as a crutch in the beginning. I'd like to think that I got better at it by the end though. We're all adults here and therefore should all be capable of making decisions and using our initiative when problems arise.
- diverse skill level within the group. Not necessarily a bad thing, but everybody not being able to always paddle the style of river they want should be something people need to be aware of if a similar varied level trip runs in future.

That's all for now. I'll add more as I remember it.
Ronan Stapleton

Return to “Alps Chat”