<< $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

JayneStephens

Re: << $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

Postby JayneStephens » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:06 pm

Name of Swimmer: Jayne Stephens
Date: 29/12/13
Shitty excuse: Rock rose up from the river right and my bracing was so powerful it punched a few rocks instead of the water.
Real reason for swim: Messed up line which was rocky as fuck and poor recovery
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Water is my friend rocks are not.
Persons requiring rescue pints: William and Ian for providing comic relief by capsizing under a tree :P
j.stephens620@gmail.com

mcosgrave

Postby mcosgrave » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Name of Swimmer:Matthew Cosgrave
Date: few weeks ago
Shitty excuse:Got stuck in a hole, after a few cartwheels and attempts to surf out I decided it was taking to long to get out and I had already seen dylan swim out of the hole ahead of me. So capsized pulled my deck only to find i was out of the hole. Next time more patience.
Real reason:Dylan
Emotional Issues arising from the event:Didn't get to run it again
Persons requiring rescue pints:Dragged my boat and paddles into the bank :) Roisin wanted to rope me tho!

Mark McNally
Admin
Admin

Postby Mark McNally » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:58 am

Name of Swimmer: Mark McNally
Date: 12/1/14
Shitty excuse: The bais needed some rescue practice
Real reason for swim: Came over a drop and capsized, missed my roll a few times. Aran was standing in an eddy immediately above the next drop to grad boats, but couldn't get me in due to being upside down.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: It was a pretty long and painful swim. Lost my paddles, lots of bruises and a broken nose. Swimming on the Srahnalong is not recommended.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Aran got my boat, Len Kelleher managed to rope me, and then I think him and Higgins dragged me up onto the bank.

^>^>^>^>^>^>

rcooney15

Postby rcooney15 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Name of Swimmer: Ronan Cooney
Date: 15/1/14
Locations: Kip & Boluisce
Shitty excuse: Looking for a treesome and saw a tree that looked kind of gamey... It wasn't... On both occasions.
Real reason for swim: Didn't keep river left on the Kip and kept too close to river left on the Boluisce.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Fear of rocks.
Real Issues: A swollen ass cheek, cuts and bruises.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Barry 2 pints for rescuing boat, paddles and myslef on the Kip and another for rescuing my boat on Boluisce.
Will.i.am 1 for helping get me to shore on the Kip.

ultanobyrne

Postby ultanobyrne » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:10 am

Name of Swimmer: Ultan O Byrne
Date: 05/02.2014
Shitty excuse:i was chasing down a first year that was capsized and i hit a rock ,so i decided to fight some rocks while upside down and had a nice bonding session with the rocks as i was trying to roll as i got my roll and as that happened my paddles snaped in half and then resulted in me swimming .Hurley claims he was trying to u rescue me but i reckon he just had a front seat to the shit show.
Real reason for swim:Robson paddles are shite dont buy them ,Jacksons plastic is also shite andrew you are right .
Emotional Issues arising from the event: none really just pissed off about my paddles as they should not have broken and my boat.if jackson actually put decent plastic in the boats it would not have happened .
Persons requiring rescue pints: not sure think it was Hurley or Barry so one of them will get a pint ye can fight for it .
swim bootiecompleted and video will follow .

ps:I love rocks!
085-seven2four0seven3two

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:12 pm

Ah here.. There's a few missing from this over the past few weeks! Post them up and get your booties done!
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

iano90

Postby iano90 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:54 pm

Yeah Im due one...

ugh...

Name of Swimmer: Ian O'Connor
Date: Pff.. sometime in January
Shitty excuse: I had just stuck a few clean spins into a blunt combo so I said Id go for an aul airscrew.. although I did get huge air I couldnt quite stick it and flushed/capsized.. at which time im pretty sure some sort of large fish (or dolphin.. I was upside down and couldnt see too well, it probably wasnt a dolphin because everyone knows how friendly they are) swam over and held onto my paddles, preventing me from rolling! Although myself and said fish had an epic tussle (no one saw it but I imagine it was like an underwater version of the Peter Griffin vs The Chicken fights) I had to pull my deck and get out of my boat to finish him off. FYI I didnt do any permanent or long lasting damage to the fish because I am a lover of all marine life, but I did have to wrestle quite aggressively to get the paddle back. Once the fish swam away Aran and Higgins put me back in my boat.. but didnt catch any glimpse of this mysterious water dwelling creature.
Real reason for swim: I missed my roll..
Emotional Issues arising from the event: I lost my shoes... it made the walk back up quite uncomfortable
Persons requiring rescue pints: Really myself, because wrestling the giant fish off saved my life... But I suppose Higgins and Aran are the ones who get the credit for the X-resuce.
Self praise is no praise... but it'll do me!

aislingbrenan

Postby aislingbrenan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Name of Swimmer: Aisling Brenan
Date: 28/2/14
Location: Sadly.. wave train after to footbridge on Boluisce :doh:
Shitty excuse: The level was low and too schraaapy for me to get a roll in after I got pinned

Real reason for swim: It was a beautiful sunny day on the Boluisce, and surprisingly very warm to the end of February... as the flow wasn't high, the wave train didn't actually exist so I was just floating merrily along, basking in the heat. The sun became too much for my fair skin so I decided to take a break on a rock, and capsize to cool myself down. The swim was for Brad's benefit actually, as I was trying to give him an unexpected scenario for his Level 3 skills rescue training, but sadly he did not step up to the challenge.

Emotional Issues arising from the event: First time to swim on a river.. dent in the confidence the day before Galway Fest :tmi:

Persons requiring rescue pints: Aran.. Cheeeers boyo 8-)
Aisling Brenan
aislingbrenan@gmail.com

GoldenGirl

Postby GoldenGirl » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:25 pm

Name of Swimmer: Elixa Neumann
Date: April 28th, 2014
Shitty excuse: It was too warm and I needed to cool off by swimming through some 1 degree Celsius water after just paddling through some left over ice.
Real reason: First time in a playboat (Jackson rockstar 2011) on rapids, and I made it through the big stuff, but then I got stuck in a hole... failed a roll and took my first swim ever!!! (saved my own boat and paddle in the rapid though! yay)
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Destroyed my fear of swimming through a rapid in ice cold water! (yay layers!!!)
Persons requiring rescue pints: no one individual; CUKC (Carleton University Kayak Club)
Elixa Neumann

Snoop Lion
Admin
Admin

Postby Snoop Lion » Thu May 01, 2014 2:33 pm

GoldenGirl wrote:Name of Swimmer: Elixa Neumann
Date: April 28th, 2014
Shitty excuse: It was too warm and I needed to cool off by swimming through some 1 degree Celsius water after just paddling through some left over ice.
Real reason: First time in a playboat (Jackson rockstar 2011) on rapids, and I made it through the big stuff, but then I got stuck in a hole... failed a roll and took my first swim ever!!! (saved my own boat and paddle in the rapid though! yay)
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Destroyed my fear of swimming through a rapid in ice cold water! (yay layers!!!)
Persons requiring rescue pints: no one individual; CUKC (Carleton University Kayak Club)

I don't envy you, it's bloody freezing in the valley right now.

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:28 am

Name of Swimmer: David Higgins
Date: 9th June 2014
Shitty excuse: Had a longer set of blades and got some advise off Andrew on boofing, tried to boof this shit out of it... only to boof too soon
Emotional Issues arising from the event: The poor Recon needs a bit of a nose job after doing a bit of the river on her own. Also now have a swim bootie sitting over my head again
Persons requiring rescue pints: Andrew, who managed to get the airbag-less Recon into an eddy whilst simultaneously rescuing another boat

Another reason why it's good to have two air-bags: if one breaks, you've a backup!

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:52 pm

higgins2510 wrote: whilst simultaneously rescuing another boat

That's a bit of an exaggeration, it did most of the work for him while we all paddled/swam past it!
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

AshCorrigan

Postby AshCorrigan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Soo, I tried Class V for the first time in my life...

Name of Swimmer: Me

Date: 5th of July- I was in fantastic form that morning.

Locations: Skyhook Rapids, East Fork Kaweah River, California

Shitty excuse: I had just finished the finale of True Detectives and wasn't emotionally ready for the real world just yet. That and after being beat on a drop before hand and managed to roll up after 5-ish attempts, I was exhausted when the next predictable capsize started to happen :P

Real reason for swim: Skyhook Rapids starts of with a few lovely doable drops, but it builds up at the second last rapid where most of the water is forced to the left hand side into a pocket. Hard right was essential, I didn't go hard right.

Emotional Issues arising from the event: Failing to execute the right has resulted in very serious injuries in the past, which I managed to do, yet only came out with broken paddles (that didn't belong to me :tmi: ) another chipped tooth, bump on the head and a new found love for American Rivers :) I honestly felt very lucky after hearing about what has happend!

Other than that, for me it was one of the most rapid, technical and enjoyable rivers I've ever paddled, and I'm glad to see that I can still take a beating :-P surprised it was the only swim I took. I did capsize a good few times though.

Persons requiring rescue pints: Cisco, one of the paddlers leading me down that day.

A limited edition Whiskey swim bootie was completed on the drive home. I love this country.
aislingcorrigan007@gmail.com

And then, I ran away.....

willhurley1

Postby willhurley1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Meaning to post this for a while

Name of Swimmer: will

Date: 30th of may

Locations: staircase line, garvins chute, middle section, Ottawa river

Shitty excuse: Me and my new boat had an argument and halfway down it decided that it didn't need me to make down the rest of the rapid so it threw me out.

Real reason for swim: stuck in a hole, and git sucked out of my boat by flaying about

Emotional issues arising: my socks got knock off literally. Learned to be nicer to my boat. I also think it was pissed off cause i didn't name it.

People requiring pints: emmet for roping me and Alberto for getting my boat and finding one of my socks.
086 seven 3 double 9 double 4 1

Snoop Lion
Admin
Admin

Postby Snoop Lion » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:04 am

I guess this belongs here

Name of Swimmer: Dave Coyle
Date: 21 June
Shitty excuse: My crew weren't paddling hard enough.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: After hitting the line every day for a week and a half of guide training, I went straight into left side with my first commercial crew, so I was a little upset with that. Got violently ripped out the back as my seat belt blew open, despite the friction plate on it. Put on the guide face for the rest of the river and got them down, and got a $140 tip from my assorted crew so hey - flips for tips.
Persons requiring rescue pints: I think there were 8 guides on trip so that was a big beer fine...

Return to “Kayak Club General Chat”