<< $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

willhurley1

Re: << $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

Postby willhurley1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Name if swimmer: William Hurley
date:01/11/15
Shitty excuse: I boofed the waterfall, went trought he first hole below fine, going through the second hole messed up and went into the curtain of the double drop on the side of the drop.

real excuse: I just really suck at kayaking

emotional issues: Feeling shitty that my last lap ended up in a swim, and that i couldn't roll. Also the bootie beer tasted funky. Wash your gear people.

persons owing pints: CJ and Marc Godbout, two Canadians Bud.
086 seven 3 double 9 double 4 1

willhurley1

Postby willhurley1 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:57 am

Name if swimmer: William Hurley
date:28/12/15
location: Roughty high water, right channel of second last rapid, only there at high water
Shitty excuse: I capsized got pinned pulled my deck cause I am like swimming, thinking of doing it professionally

real excuse: After not seeing Aran for a long time i couldnt take my eyes off him, its good that i wasnt driving.

emotional issues: I cant believe I swam in front of Aran shit!!! ;-( Also kinda pissed off with a high swim count this year.

persons owing pints: Not sure some irish pricks like.

Beer bootie done at the take out.
086 seven 3 double 9 double 4 1

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Mon May 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Name of swimmer: Ronan Stapleton

Date: 2/May/2016

Location: lower clydagh, 3rd step of the "7 steps" medium highish flow

Shitty excuse: kayaking gets boring if you're not one with the water every now and again.

Real excuse: I'm a bitch!!!

Emotional issues arising: I swam. And pulled my deck as opposed to it being ripped off.

Specific learning outcomes: continuous ledge drops need speed to go down, don't go into them thinking you'll Eddie catch at each.

Persons requiring rescue pints: self rescued, so that means I'm class right? (Someone else may have gotten my paddles, but don't know who)
Ronan Stapleton

l.whelan11
Treasurer

Postby l.whelan11 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:10 pm

Name of swimmer: Luke Whelan

Date: 2/May/2016

Shitty excuse: was trying to help Staples by not boofing on top of him

Real excuse: I forgot to boof

Emotional issues arising: giving up kayaking 4 lyf

Specific learning outcomes: Folan pointed out that we should start a whitewater swimming club in the college

Persons requiring rescue pints: I think the boat sat on a rock at the bottom and laughed at me but Barry, Artur and Lucien kept an eye on my gear anyway!
Luke Whelan

Could've been a little bit higher

AndrewR
Traitor

Postby AndrewR » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Name: Andrew Regan
Date: Sometime in July
Shitty excuse: The Upper section was dog low, coming around the corner there was a slot drop. Not wanting to drop into the slot I boofed the centre rock to avoid the slot. Turns out there was a smaller fuck you rock after the main rock which flipped me into the wall creating the slot. I was completely wedged between the fuck you rock and the wall and couldnt move. Pulled my deck and floated into the calm pool below the drop.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Laughing
Persons requiring rescue pints: my friends 50 year old dad...
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) Not yet actually.... I forgot

Cathal Kelly

Postby Cathal Kelly » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Name of Swimmer: Cathal Kelly
Date: 17th March 2017
Shitty Excuse: Second lap of the day. Hit a rock in the run in to one of the drops, didn't bother picking up any speed afterwards and penciled the drop, had a fight with the wall and swam like a little bitch.
Real Excuse: I saw Aran's paddles in the eddy so I had to get them
Emotional Issues arising from this event: I hadn't gone for a dip since March 2010 so I was pretty happy to break the streak.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Lucien
Bootie Beer: Done at the take-out :D
hmm to go drinking or to go paddling
cathal.kayak@gmail.com

Fergal.Staples1

Postby Fergal.Staples1 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:32 am

Time to write up some swims from the Alps
Name of Swimmer: Fergal Stapleton
Date: 24 May 2017
Shitty Excuse: Don't let your dreams stay dreams, if you want to Rock Splat a nomad, you rock splat a nomad. I did.
Real Excuse: Hit a boulder dead on tried to lean around it, somehow ended up vertical sliding around it. Aran can testify to my shocked expression. Capsized, thought there was an undercut so pulled out like a bitch.
[b]Emotional Issues arising from this event: None really, kinda good to know alpine water wasn't as cold as I had been warned
[b]Persons requiring rescue pints[/b]: Aran I suppose
Bootie Beer: Done that evening, evidence is on Facebook

Name of Swimmer: Fergal Stapleton
Date: 30 May 2017
Shitty Excuse: Don't really have one
Real Excuse: Kinda mank double S bend rapid, hit a submerged rock on the last bend, capsized. Was setting up for a role when three fingers were unceremoniously crushed between my boat and a rock. Lost paddle and kinda had no choice but to pull out.
Emotional Issues arising from this event: Kinda pissed off with how I couldn't paddle for a few days and it being mid trip was a bit disheartening. Easy rapids become good craic with one hand though!
Persons requiring rescue pints: Big shoutout to Rob, Luke and Will. They were really good at handling the situation so I owe them all a beer.
Bootie Beer: Vaguely remember doing one that night...

I had a few more swims but nothing really memorable. I guess the things I (and maybe others) can take from any of the swims is not to panic straight away. Take a mental second or two to calm yourself and set up for a roll, don't rush things and you'll be grand. Did learn a lot though!

l.whelan11
Treasurer

Postby l.whelan11 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:22 am

Name of Swimmer: Luke Whelan

Date: July 2016

Shitty excuse: Well this write up is long overdue...anyway here goes! Deck did not fit me tightly enough around the waist, and let water into the boat as I started to get stern squirted in an evil eddy (located just below a chunky waterfall). This lasted an uncomfortable amount of time as I tried to figure out what to do. Eventually I timed my bail so that I could grab onto the "shore". Bushwacked through some lovely Ugandan jungle, and signaled to the boys that I was still alive. Bushwacked some more to get to an eddy further downstream. Locals started motioning for me to swim down, which I tried unsuccessfully. Miraculously, my boat then drifted into the eddy, allowing me to pull it out. Breaking out of this eddy was an adventure in its own right, as my arms were pretty burnt out at this stage. Managed eventually though, second lap of the drop 10 days later went a lot better!

Real reason for swim Dropped an edge/pointed too far to the right coming off the drop, leading me into the eddy.

Emotional Issues arising from the event: ...this one scared me to be honest

Persons requiring rescue pints: Think I did a funnel back at the campsite bar, so...close enough

Video evidence (warning, long video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxTgzC7 ... e=youtu.be
Luke Whelan

l.whelan11
Treasurer

Postby l.whelan11 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:34 am

Bangin' out a few swims here, thankfully I will be up to date now...for the time being :worried:

Name of Swimmer: Luke Whelan

Date: 23/12/2016

Shitty excuse: The wind blew me off-course.

Real reason for swim Wasn't paying enough attention to my line, realised too late that I was heading straight for a nasty rock. Tried to turn but ended up getting pinned between said rock and wall on the other side.

Emotional Issues arising from the event: I have developed a deep fear of rocks wanting to drown me.

Persons requiring rescue pints: Regan did well to catch the eddy above me. Unfortunately it was so windy, it was literally not possible to throw a rope to me. When I got out though, he and Lucien helped retrieve the gear!

Video evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQksdUZ ... e=youtu.be (skip to 7:00 to see pin)
Luke Whelan

Return to “Kayak Club General Chat”