<< $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

Davep
O.F.B.

Re: << $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

Postby Davep » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:40 pm

You flipped a big boat in leftside phils? Awesome.
Barney: Hello, my name is Barney Gumble, and I'm an alcoholic.
Lisa: Mr Gumble, this is a girl scouts meeting.
Barney: Is it, or is it you girls can't admit that you have a problem?

Snoop Lion
Admin
Admin

Postby Snoop Lion » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:25 am

Fortunately it stayed right side up, just took a little while to come back out...

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:09 pm

Its that time of the year again..

Name of swimmer: Aran Kilroy
Date: 26th of July

Shitty excuse: Wasn't paying attention to the line Keyes and Roisin were taking and blindly followed them off the drop waaaay to far to the right. I knew the normal line was left but its a small enough rapid so I figured it would be grand. Turns out the right is a 5/6 foot ledge drop with a massive hole at the base. I came over the lip and saw Roisin getting ripped out of her boat and Keyes disappearing into the foam for some down time. I tucked, took a big hit and rolled up right in the meat. Spent the next few minutes surfing around trying to get the hell out but no luck. Eventually I got window shaded and my blades got ripped out of my hands. I still hadn't flushed so I popped my deck, went deep and got let go.
Emotional issues: First swim from a playboat in almost 4 years kinda bugs me but hopefully that's my yearly swim done with! My BA doesn't really hold me up which is a bit worrying :/
Persons requiring rescue pints: Keyes got my boat back for me and I picked up my own blades.
Funnel will be done at the NRE bar in the next few hours.

Edit: Turns out the hole is known as the "pit of death"
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

dylan

Postby dylan » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:31 pm

Window shaded?
Dylan Byrne
086 1761248

dylan

Postby dylan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Name of swimmer: Dylan Byrne
Date: 31st July

Shitty excuse: Play boating down grade 3, didn't lean forward enough going through a hole, all rolling attempts failed. Begin swimming.
Emotional issues: Swimming in front of the people your supposed to be leading is never fun!
Dylan Byrne
086 1761248

Barry L

Postby Barry L » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:31 pm

arank wrote:Turns out the hole is known as the "pit of death"

hope you got a nice surf on the wave above it, lovely little wave

http://barryloughnane.blogspot.com/

gmail:b.loughnane1@gmail.com

AndrewR
Traitor

Postby AndrewR » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:42 am

Name: Andrew Regan
Date: July 28th 2014
Shitty excuse: I finished my rides in the competition and decided to hand paddle the slalom section and drop into the sticky, steep hole. It had claimed a few swimmers with paddles but I thought I could make it out. After 3 or 4 handrolls to window shades it was pretty clear I wasnt coming out. Popped my deck, got recycled once and flushed.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Happiness! and a lot of laughing from the entire irish team who were on the bank. (there is video footage somewhere)
Persons requiring rescue pints: Swam to bank and Aran got my boat
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) Yep with witnesses I did a swim bootie at the closing party

Brad
G.M.I.T Secretary

Postby Brad » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:32 am

Might as well kick start this now the rain is coming
Pretty uneventful swim...sorry to disappoint :-)

Name of swimmer: Bradley Skidmore
Date: 3/10/14
Location: Seanafaurrachain - some generic, tight chute after a drop near the top before Disney land

Shitty excuse: came down some right hand type chute, rode up the left wall, capsized onto backdeck. Paddles got lodged across the river quicker than I could even think about rolling. Face down, no paddles, low water on an already rocky run meant I wasn't keen on hanging round. Especially when I didn't know what was 10m further down the river!
Emotional issues: none really, just annoying...should of just held on for a few more seconds as I momentarily saw Barry was already out his boat and could of got to me easily enough. Always seems easier in hindsight I guess
Persons requiring rescue pints: Barry got my boat and I got out beside it. Ran to get my paddles which were handily waiting for collection.. before Higgins ended up taking an unsuspecting paddle to the face :tmi: (perfect example of distancing when there's no line of sight if you want to take a plus out of it)
Bradley Skidmore
085 one616two20
Marcin: Back paddling is like leg day, you just don't do it

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:34 pm

Name of Swimmer: Ronan Stapleton
Date: 15/10/14
Location: Buckfast creek, in a river wide hole that needs to be named.
Shitty excuse: Decided to practice my ride before Crana. Dropped in and threw a few phonics. After my 45 second ride, the hole didn't want to let me go and started abusing me. Cue FIRST swim ;-(
Real reason: Paddled in sideways like a fucking ayjit.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: I can no longer brag about not swimming on rivers...
Specific learning outcomes SLOs: Don't let your boat go adventuring on its own. They aren't trained to come back when you call for them.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Bradley for roping me, and Artur for finding my boat about seven km into the bay.
Ronan Stapleton
087-0549534
Safety Officer & Polo Officer
Safety@nuigkc.com

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Staples wrote:They aren't trained to come back when you call for them.

She never tried to run away from me. You just need to treat her better!
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

ConorHickey
Equipments Officer

Postby ConorHickey » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Name of Swimmer: Conor Hickey
Date: 18/10/14
Shitty excuse: Styled the claw but wanted to know what a swim in the hole would be like so went back in.
Real reason: Poor line over the lip lost all my momentum going through the hole so I got pulled back in and back looped and beaten around till I ran out of air.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: None came out of the hole without a scratch and a smile on my face and went and ran it again.
Person requiring rescue pint: Aran for getting my boat to the bank once he can drink beer again.
087 2830148
Captain
Email: Conor.Hickey1@Gmail.com

K.Foynes

Postby K.Foynes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Name of Swimmer: Kevin Foynes
Date: 28/10/14
Shitty excuse: Hit a rock and dropped into the hole on edge.
Real reason: Im a fucking idiot
Emotional Issues arising from the event: a 3 year no swimming record destroyed and a nice AT paddle lost in the glens.
Specific learning outcomes SLOs: Hold on to the fecking paddle
Persons requiring rescue pints: Dixon for the rope, Barry for the tow and Higgins aswell.
All aboard the Steamboat!
Kevin Foynes

CathalFolan

Postby CathalFolan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:18 am

The Glens claimed a few scalps today.

Name of Swimmer: Cathal Folan

Date: 28/10/2014

Shitty excuse: The level was massive and I capsized kind of against a wall where it was shallow and very rocky so it was hard to roll.

Real reason for swim: I wanted to do a swim bootie.

Emotional Issues arising from the event: Annoyed that I made it down all the big rapids and then swam on the shit one 100m from the take out.

Persons requiring rescue pints: I think Barry and Yianni helped get my boat? My paddle caught an eddy all on it's own and I climbed out by myself.

Mark McNally
Admin
Admin

Postby Mark McNally » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:17 pm

I pretty much haven't been on whitewater since the last time I posted on this thread. I think I need to find a new sport.

Name of Swimmer: Mark "Michael Phelps" McNally
Date: 1/11/14
Shitty excuse: Going for the left line but was following Cathal Kelly, whose idea of left is actually centre. Went a little bit further left than Cathal but went over the drop just off centre pretty much landing on Cathal, who forunately was upside down at the time. Got pulled back into the waterfall and tried rolling a few times. Decided I wasn't getting out so bailed, got some downtime and then popped up.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: None, I spend more time out of the boat than in it.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Higgins, Cathal, Brad

Name of Swimmer: Mark "Michael Phelps" McNally
Date: 1/11/14
Shitty excuse: Went for the right line this time. Was a little but further left than I wanted to be, missed my boof and pencilled the drop. Turns out there's rocks at the bottom, and ankles don't enjoy being in a kayak when it impacts on them. Tried rolling, wasn't getting out, bailed.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Sprained my ankle so Cathal drove my car back to Galway which was quite possibly one of the scariest experiences of my life.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Higgins, Cathal, Brad

^>^>^>^>^>^>

AndrewR
Traitor

Postby AndrewR » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Name of Swimmer: Andrew
Date: 28/10/14
Shitty excuse: Got caught a bit left in the slower water in the lead in to Big Eas and lost my momentum towards the curler that needs to be punched on that level to get left on the drop. The curler wouldn't let me through and pushed me right. Hit my boof but it didn't really matter as the water was so messy and boily it flipped me and gave me a beatdown under the falls. Thought i was going for a nasty swim in the right pocket of the falls so bailed early to save oxygen thankful that Barry was there with a rope. As it turned out the water pushed me out the left side of the falls and I was able to scramble to shore and was about to go boat chasing before I realized Calvin was swimming aswell and was hurt.

Emotional Issues arising from the event: First swim in Ireland since 2010 in the exact same location, was long over due. Recognising the usefulness of a waist harness throwline as my bag was in my boat going downstream when Calvin was in trouble.

Persons requiring rescue pints: Got all my own gear but will buy Barry a can for getting Calvin on a rope or things might have escalated badly.

Swim bootie Not yet! Next time Im drinking with NUIGKC!

Return to “Kayak Club General Chat”