<< $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

AshCorrigan

Re: << $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

Postby AshCorrigan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:08 pm

I'll start the series of ''standard mass NUIGKC group trip on the Boluisce'' events today...

Name of Swimmer: Mise
Date: 06/12/14- A few hours ago.
Shitty excuse: No excuse this time round: I was a BIG, MASSIVE WHIMP. ''Oh no, I capsized & it's shallow, I probably won't be able to roll cause it's sooo low...ohhh neeoooooooow'' |(

Emotional Issues arising from the event: After more or less taking a year out from paddling last year, I knew the technical-side of my paddling this semester hadn't been great to be honest and I haven't been too pleased about it. Things like not catching familiar, handy enough eddies on high flow that I would have been able to do no bother in the past were knocking my confidence to oblivion, and the fact that I swam in a section that I wouldn't have thought twice about had further fueled my mentality about it.
BUT, I did learn a lot today & have completely changed my attitude about it all rather than singing woes: Shrug it off, Learn from it, Get out there, Be Consistent & shtap the whining!. :up: It was actually a class day!

Persons requiring rescue pints: Self-Rescue with all my gear intact, until the Karnali decided to finish the time trail by itself and flowed away from me out of the eddy I held it in. Shout-out to Higgins & Older McComb for running down and retrieving it afterwards.

Swim booty will be added to the 'list of swim booties' which will all be consumed on the first night of Kerry.

So, Paddling tomorrow?! :-D
Last edited by AshCorrigan on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aislingcorrigan007@gmail.com

And then, I ran away.....

ConorHickey
Equipments Officer

Postby ConorHickey » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Name of Swimmer:Conor Hickey
Date:06/12/14
Shitty excuse: Was way to warm after the trials and needed a cooldown
Real excuse: Boat was half full and was exhausted after racing, flipped at poll gorm, missed roll, set up for second one but felt my head trapped between 2 rocks (Was actually Cian McCombs boat) so I panicked and pulled my deck as fast as possible.
Emotional Issues arising from the event:After a relatively slow run I was not happy with myself, but fuck it, bring on the next river.
Persons requiring rescue pints:I think Cian McComb was a bit dazed so not sure who got my gear to the bank.
087 2830148
Captain
Email: Conor.Hickey1@Gmail.com

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:13 am

I think theres a few more missing from here... T'was an interesting day!
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

Postby 14351306 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:44 am

Name of Swimmer: Aoife Hanrahan
Date: 6/12/14
Shitty Excuse: Race took it out of me capsized and thought best thing would be to go for a swim!
Real Excuse: Capsized just after Poll Gorm set up arms were physically dead from the race missed the roll set up again and had no strength to pull myself up so I swam!
Emotional Issues arising from this event: LOST MY PADDLES!!!!! ;-( ;-( ;-( and also was scarred from having to do a swim bootie from one of Arans reallyyyyy smelly bootie! Thanks for that bud!
Persons requiring rescue pints: All i can really remember was I think Cian McComb through me a rescue rope and Roisin Millard pulled me out of the water. And I think it was David Higgins who rescued the boat.

Also would greatly appreciate if anyone found my paddles would you please let me know or else spread the word! Thanks!!
Aoife Hanrahan

n00bm0nKeY

Postby n00bm0nKeY » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:28 pm

Name of Swimmer: Armon "420 Treehugger" Chojnacki
Date: 6/12/14
Location: Left shore just before the first bridge (Boluisce) -White Water Trials
Shitty Excuse: I thought we were pulling into an eddie and was ahead of cian mccomb who was leading me down the river.
Real Excuse: I liked the first tree but just wasn't my type :@ , second tree was a bit too clingy :tmi: but the third one though rocked my world upside down before i knew what hit me :rofl: . Still in shock tried to setup for a roll but panic at the disco showed up and ruined the party.
Emotional Issues arising from this event: The absolute struggle to unpin the boat from a rock at the end of the day while ultan insisted on telling us how bad we were at safety :clap: .
Persons requiring rescue pints: Ultan, Marcin, Cian and Staples.
Armon Chojnacki

Jamie Mc

Postby Jamie Mc » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:08 pm

ConorHickey wrote:I think Cian McComb was a bit dazed...

What did you do to poor Cian?
087-757 TWO 779
jamiemc89ATgmail.com

Stay frosty gents.

ConorHickey
Equipments Officer

Postby ConorHickey » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Jamie Mc wrote:
ConorHickey wrote:I think Cian McComb was a bit dazed...

What did you do to poor Cian?

Sorry I meant "I think Cian McComb, I was a bit dazed"
087 2830148
Captain
Email: Conor.Hickey1@Gmail.com

jacksilke
Training Officer

Postby jacksilke » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:50 pm

Name of swimmer: Jack Silke
Date: 01/03/2015
Shitty excuse: first time doing the glens, had high hopes. Styled top drop a few times and had a lovely boof off sidewinder..... then shit got real. Made it past the first curler in constriction and thought i was too far left, took a small left stroke and ended up instantly full on hiting the river right wall. I stopped dead, had a quick breath before I went under. Got stuck in my boat, cockpit facing upstream pined by my paddles, couldnt pull the deck, boat way down stuck in the undercut. So after about 15 seconds I managed to push myself out of my boat, got into the green room, smoked some cigars and eventually popped up a fair ways farther down.
Emotional issues arising from the event Bit of a knock to the confidence and gutted I didnt get to run the rest of the river.... and a bit displeased my boat decided to play hide and seek so well that its still in constriction... after 15 lads tryed to pull it out and it didnt even budge.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Aran helped me out of the water and Higgins got my paddles..... the pint for getting the boats still up for grabs :-P

Swim bootie was done after pizza in Limerick
Jack Silke
'chilling in the green room smoking cigars'

JayneStephens

Postby JayneStephens » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:23 am

Name of swimmer: Jayne Stephens
Shitty excuse: Is there an excuse for it? Water caught my edge, landed on rocks and proceeded to walk the rapid on my hands before going under and popping the deck.
Thankfully I am an expert in self rescue and not a hardcore swimmer like Roisin :^) so managed to get out above the drops.
Emotional issues arising from the event: Gotta wait for a t next time! Had a nice jump from the bank below the drops to get to my boat the far side that was enough of a drop for me! :sweat:
Persons requiring rescue pints: Mr.Higgins for getting my boat and Aran for rescuing HIS paddles I was using :tmi:
j.stephens620@gmail.com

ultanobyrne

Postby ultanobyrne » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:01 am

jacksilke wrote:Name of swimmer: Jack Silke
Shitty excuse: first time doing the glens, had high hopes. Styled top drop a few times and had a lovely boof off sidewinder..... then shit got real. Made it past the first curler in constriction and thought i was too far left, took a small left stroke and ended up instantly full on hiting the river right wall. I stopped dead, had a quick breath before I went under. Got stuck in my boat, cockpit facing upstream pined by my paddles, couldnt pull the deck, boat way down stuck in the undercut. So after about 15 seconds I managed to push myself out of my boat, got into the green room, smoked some cigars and eventually popped up a fair ways farther down.
Emotional issues arising from the event Bit of a knock to the confidence and gutted I didnt get to run the rest of the river.... and a bit displeased my boat decided to play hide and seek so well that its still in constriction... after 15 lads tryed to pull it out and it didnt even budge.
Persons requiring rescue pints: Aran helped me out of the water and Higgins got my paddles..... the pint for getting the boats still up for grabs :-P

Swim bootie was done after pizza in Limerick
JayneStephens wrote:Name of swimmer: Jayne Stephens
Shitty excuse: Is there an excuse for it? Water caught my edge, landed on rocks and proceeded to walk the rapid on my hands before going under and popping the deck.
Thankfully I am an expert in self rescue and not a hardcore swimmer like Roisin :^) so managed to get out above the drops.
Emotional issues arising from the event: Gotta wait for a t next time! Had a nice jump from the bank below the drops to get to my boat the far side that was enough of a drop for me! :sweat:
Persons requiring rescue pints: Mr.Higgins for getting my boat and Aran for rescuing HIS paddles I was using :tmi:

Sounds like an eventful day on the river
085-seven2four0seven3two

willhurley1

Postby willhurley1 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:50 am

Name of Swimmer: William Hurley
Date: 11/05/15
Shitty excuse: didnt go far enough left, ended up htting rooster tail and turning me sideways in the hole. jumped out of kayak before going in bigger hole a metre away
Real reason: Im am just a really shit kayaker
Emotional Issues arising from the event: None reaaly, got my annual swim out of the way, got back into boat and styled the rest of the rapids
Specific learning outcomes SLOs: go more left
Persons requiring rescue pints: myself, self rescue so I had a nice bootie beer at the take out
086 seven 3 double 9 double 4 1

l.whelan11
Treasurer

Postby l.whelan11 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Name of Swimmer: Luke Whelan
Date: 31/06/15
Shitty excuse: I was following Cathal Kelly's line, so it's his fault really! :laugh:
Real reason: Tried to skirt around a boulder but got pinned against it instead. Should have leaned into it at this point but capsized instead to get a nice look at the riverbed. Felt like I was stuck against the rock, got half a roll in before I reached for salvation in my Jesus chord. Which was not necessary as I fell out of my boat anyway.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Wasn't a great feeling getting pinned (2/10, wouldn't recommend) but considering the section of river that I was on it went pretty well. I got onto the bank pretty quickly with a helpful hand from Higgins, and my boat and paddles were recovered without a scratch.
Specific learning outcomes SLOs: lean into rocks/boulders if collision is inevitable and go with the flow (chose your own line).
Persons requiring rescue pints: Barry the boat Fairy, and Higgins for the hand out of the water. Myself for holding onto my paddles (treated myself to a nice booty back at the camp).

Video evidence...
Luke Whelan

Could've been a little bit higher

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:15 pm

I guess its about that time of year again!

Name of Swimmer: Aran Kilroy
Date: 6/8/15

Shitty excuse: I hit the kicker at the bottom of the slide with so much speed thanks to my pointy boat that I flew straight into the undercut wall.

Real reason: I didn't quite get enough right to left momentum coming into the slide so I came off a little bit right of where you'd want to be. I was upright and straight but didn't have the time to ferry away from the wall. Had a bit of a fight with the wall about which way up kayaks are supposed to float and then how good my roll is. It won both times.
Once I surfaced I got a hold of the wall and was pretty stable. The lads dropped a rope down to me and I clipped on my boat before climbing up.

Emotional issues arising from the event: None really! Bit worrying when you can feel your legs being pulled under a rock wall but once I was out of the water I was ok.

Persons requiring rescue pints: David Doyle and Jack Phelan got the rope down to me and we all helped pulling the boat into an eddy.

Swim bootie was done at the get out!
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

willhurley1

Postby willhurley1 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Name if swimmer: William Hurley
date:12/09/15
location: rouge river, seven sisters waterfall number 6 or 5 depends if,your from,Ontario or quebec. Also know as go left or die.

Shitty excuse: my boof broke the waterfall

real excuse: i fell off sideways into a nice slot on the right side. Not the best idea i have had.

emotional issues: none, i am actually stoked, cause i didn't think i would make it that far into the race. Very fucking high, the water level i mean. Although pretty banged up, pretty sure the big wall chipped a bone in my leg cause cant really walk all that well.

persons owing pints: a few French speaking lads, they are coming to Ottawa to be paid.

bootie beers will be done next weekend at the Ottawa river. Footage will be provided of carnage and bootie beer.

P.S never follow cathal, pretty sure that its a club law. Don't even think that our insurance will cover you for that
086 seven 3 double 9 double 4 1

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:37 pm

willhurley1 wrote:Also known as go left or die.... i fell off sideways into a nice slot on the right side

Sounds like you nailed the line Will. Good job!
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

Return to “Kayak Club General Chat”