<< $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

D.Burke99

Re: << $$$ SWIMMERS File $$$ >>

Postby D.Burke99 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:24 pm

Name: Daniel Burke
Date: 28/12/17
Shitty excuse: I was hungover t'fuck and half listened to Barry explaining the line.
Real excuse: First gorge just wanted a hug
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Confidence knock after 7 years of not swimming
Persons requiring rescue pints: Barry, Cathal & Luke
Swim Bootie Y/N (Evidence) Not yet
0864453505 - How's yer mother for onions ;-)

laoiseplunkett

Postby laoiseplunkett » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:25 pm

Name of Swimmer: mise
Date: 13-1-18
Shitty excuse: I was paddling so badly that a swim seemed inevitable; I figured I'd be best off getting it out of the way on a rapid that had safety set up.
Real excuse: I fucked my line over the first drop and panicked when the hole turned out to be stickier than anticipated
Emotional Issues arising from the event: Seriouly considered walking off the river and never getting back in a creeker
Persons requiring rescue pints: Cathal Kelly for roping me out, I've no idea who got my boat or paddles though

PatrickB1718

Postby PatrickB1718 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 pm

Name of Swimmer:Patrick Brennan

Date: 20/01/2018 (Second time ever running the full river; apart from Top Drop)

Shitty Excuse:My noble intentions of rescuing Erin backfired in my face

Real excuse:I'm an idiot, The group was too close together, as pointed out moments earlier by Con, we should listen to him next time, Anyway Erin hit a tree and swam in front of me, In my haste to rescue Erin I then hit a tree, capsized rolled up, hit a second tree capsized again and calmly pulled my deck as a precaution as I was afraid that if I fought too long that I would end up getting pinned in the trees.

Emotional issues arising from the event: Mild Frustration, It was a stupid mistake and I should have known better, the swim was all very chilled and nobody was hurt anyway so its all good

Persons requiring rescue pints: Nobody on this occasion, My gear eddied out behind me and I was able to swim to the bank. Cheers to Con for helping me empty my boat on the bank though :D

Learning Outcomes: Do the simple things right, Space out the group more and don't be foolish enough to try and rescue those in trees if it puts you in a swimming situation

Swim Bootie:No

Tiernan Stapleton

Postby Tiernan Stapleton » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Name of Swimmer: Tiernan Stapleton
Date: 20/01/2018
Shitty Excuse: I've crossed a dangerous rock mob family on a deal gone sour, and ever since they've had a vendetta against me.
Real Excuse: Didn't know it was the last rapid before Top Drop, and that you are meant to take the left line. Needless to say I took the right line, all over some nice bumpy rocks and capsized from an attempted brace. Ended up lying against a rock with my head out of the water, and my left arm yanked back so I lost grip on my paddle. After a few attempted pushes against said rock, my deck slipped down my waist and popped off my boat, leaving me spreading against a rock until I started to float down stream. I then floated past the rocks and swam into the last eddy before Top Drop
Emotional issues arising from the event: Hyper extended my shoulder, and lost my sling ;-(
Learning Outcomes: Have an awareness of which section of the river you're on and what the lines should be, I didn't know at the time that this was the last rapid before Top Drop, and could have easily ended up swimming it...
Persons requiring rescue pints: Fergal gave me a hand getting out of the water, and thanks to Luke and Rob for unpinning the boat.
Swim bootie: Not yet ;-)
Tiernan :-o

Tiernan Stapleton

Postby Tiernan Stapleton » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Name of Swimmer: Tiernan Stapleton
Date: 20/01/2018
Shitty Excuse: Those rocks really hate me
Real Excuse: Couldn't really paddle that well with the banjaxed shoulder, so capsized over a rock after an attempted brace on my left side, water was very shallow and couldn't crunch forward for a roll, one thing led to another and hence this post
Emotional issues arising from the event: Pain.
Learning Outcomes: Made the smart decision of not running rock garden after that little failure, which goes to show that there is nothing wrong with portaging something if it's not going to end well
Persons requiring rescue pints: Nobody, through my pure physical prowess I got all my gear back and onto the bank, along with yours truly.
Swim bootie: I'll get around to it I'm sure.
Tiernan :-o

careyisastar

Postby careyisastar » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:38 am

Name of Swimmer: Carey Georgius
Date:  26/01/18
Shitty Excuse: Misoginistic rocks and auto-boofs
Real Excuse: There was a hidden rock at the end of the big, scary rapid which I ran fucking beautifully and then my safety boater was too far away for a T *cough Fergal cough*. The autoboof off the falls gave me a bit of a fright and I panicked like an idiot.
Emotional issues arising from the event: Utter redemption! After both swims I got right back on and ran it again. Plus my last swim before this was on Ashleagh and it was not fucking good, so v proud I ran it again.
Learning Outcomes: Don't panic! You can fucking roll, you dumbass!
Persons requiring rescue pints:  Ferg and Laoise got my boat, plus massive thanks to them for taking me along even though I was shitting myself.
Swim bootie: Will be completed during the Higgins Olympics
Carey Georgius
Secretary
sceretary@nuigkc.com
087 224 8424

PatrickB1718

Postby PatrickB1718 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:42 pm

careyisastar wrote:Emotional issues arising from the event: Utter redemption! After both swims I got right back on and ran it again. Plus my last swim before this was on Ashleagh and it was not fucking good, so v proud I ran it again.
Learning Outcomes: Don't panic! You can fucking roll, you dumbass!
Persons requiring rescue pints:  Ferg and Laoise got my boat, plus massive thanks to them for taking me along even though I was shitting myself.

Carey:
Another Learning outcome For you:
Stop being so hard on yourself, There is no reason for you to call yourself a dumbass or an idiot after a swim, The second you start giving out to yourself over a swim is the second your confidence start taking a hit and your paddling goes with it.

The Main thing you should take from the swims is that following it you got straight back in and bossed the rapid second time around despite multiple unpleasant experiences, I've seen people give up kayaking after swimming from a boat in a heated swimming pool, So that fact that you can take this on the chin and have a second go immediately is something you should be proud of, not beating yourself up over. Always maintain a positive mental attitude :).

laoiseplunkett

Postby laoiseplunkett » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:12 pm

Name of Swimmer: Laoise
Date: 9.2.18
Shitty excuse: Hmm.. what to choose... I couldn't reach the footblocks, slalom boats are weird to roll, the edges on the slalom boat are pretty defined compared to a nomad, I can't roll particularly well with paddles anymore...
Real reason: I was really starting to enjoy slalom paddling and got a pre-emptive sense disapproval back in Galway *slalom is gay*. As all of my recent swims have left me questioning whether or not kayaking is really worth it; taking the wet exit seemed like the best way to wash away any notions that slalom is anything other than gay.
Emotional Issues arising from the event: I swam on grade 2, enough said. :wasntme:
Persons requiring rescue pints: Henry
Specific Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
>Once you get over the shame, swimming on grade 2 is actually pretty enjoyable. 10/10; would recommend.
>If you can't reach or adjust the footblocks in a boat, get a thick piece of foam and hold it in between your feet - not quite as good as footblocks, but a lot better than nothing.
>Slalom is actually really fun

Return to “Kayak Club General Chat”