First Year Rep.

Re: Club Trip Reports

Postby Staples » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:31 am

Date: 25/11/2017

Level: 0.48 and rising slowly (Low)

River Leader: Me I suppose

Start and Finish time of trip:
Left the shed at 11.30, back for 18.30

People on the water: Myself, Luke, Will, Ultan, Fergal, Tiernan, Emmet, Jrob, Jack, Cashel, Kat, Aoife, Donal

Description: Split the group into 3 sub-groups. This gave the level 3 paddlers (Fergal, Tiernan, Emmet) a chance to lead the more beginnery paddlers down a G3 river. Each group had a level 4 paddler with them also. For my group, which was Fergal, Jrob and Jack, Fergal approached each person individually and asked them what they wanted to get out of the day (good point :up:) and then concentrated on that all along the river.
As a whole group we scouted the rapids that we felt were a bit more challenging, using a combo of bank scouting and boat scouting. One swim on the rapid about halfway down the river where the bank gets steeper on River left. A handful more swims on the last rapid as well, but no lasting damage to anyone. Also knocked out some level 2's at the end for those that had intitially showed up for a level 2 and ended up going to a river :-P
TLDR Went kayaking, had a blast, everyone did great!

Recommendations for future trips: Double check that you have all your gear packed, we had a few people forget things like booties, cags and a deck.
Ronan Stapleton

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Date: 14/12/2017

Level: 1.3 (gauge) felt more like 1.5

River Leader: Me

Start and Finish time of trip: Left the shed at 11.00, back for 17.00

People on the water: Myself, Laoise, Kirsten, Grealish

Description: We all know how the Boluisce goes at this stage.

Recommendations for future trips:I had hot chocolate in a thermos at the bottom, it was great. Bring hot chocolate when it's cold.
Ronan Stapleton

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Date: 16/12/2017

Level: 1.1 on the gauge on the second last bridge (river right wall), which is medium - medium-high

River Leader: Me I suppose seeing as I organised it.

Start and Finish time of trip:
Left the shed at 12.15, back for 16.30

People on the water: Myself, Luke, Roisin, Laoise, Fergal, Tiernan, Kat, Levy, Valentin, Patrick, Aoife, Carey, JRob, Kirsten, Oisin

Description: Split the group into 3 sub-groups. This gave us enough space so that we weren't perpetually on-top of each other. No real incidents to speak of. All went grand, and it was a good end of exams river trip imo.

Recommendations for future trips: Again hot-chocolate is great at the bottom of the river. Shout out to Tiernan for making the batch yesterday.
Ronan Stapleton

C.Fiuza

Postby C.Fiuza » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Date: 6/1/2018

Level: Much too high...

River Leader: Me/Staples

Start and Finish time of trip: Left the shed at 10.30ish, back for 18.30

People on the water: Me, Staples, Laoise, Fergal

Description: Spent about a hour scouting the run from both sides and finding the elusive put in. We split into pairs with Staples and Laoise running first and Fergal and I doing safety at the bottom before switching. Only real incident was Laoise got caught out in a pretty big munchy hole and managed to surf out (the hole helped a bit... )

Recommendations for future trips: Be careful when describing your run down a rapid especially if caught out by a scary feature as it can put off others.
Con Fiuza

087-nine 42-one 140

laoiseplunkett

Postby laoiseplunkett » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 pm

So this technically wasn't a club trip, but I figured I'd write it up in case anyone wanted to head there at some stage; there isn't much about it online
Date: 9.2.18
Take the M6/4 towards Dublin. Take exit 4 (signposted Lucan & Dodsboro). Just off the slip road, there's a small parking lot with a big yellow gate-thing on the left. If you had creek boats on the roof you might need to take them off to fit under the gate-thing.
Park at the top of the hill in the parking lot. Cross the big yellow barrier and walk up-river. Put on above the weir and ferry across.
Level: medium-low apparently; I'm not sure where the gauge is though
River Leader Henry
Start and Finish time of trip: ~2-5PM
People on the water: Henry, some Dublin paddler (he's a DIT polo player) and me
Description:
Recommendations for future trips:
Don't bring a fibreglass boat. You'll spend the day trying to protect it from rocks, which is no craic.

Go more often. A really nice place for level 3 peer paddling, would be cool to run a club trip there sometime.

Return to “Kayak Club General Chat”