Re: Club Trip Reports

Postby AshCorrigan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:55 am

Date: 14/2/13
Level: 1.2
River Leader: Me
Start and Finish time of trip: 11- 3.30
People on the water: Myself, Barry and Ffrench
Description: Freeshhhhtyle
Recommendations for future trips: Encourage exploration of new fun moves; possibility of adding a new fun move called ''doggy lick'' into the Irish Freestyle score system.

Date: 15/2/13
Level: 1.2
Start and Finish time of trip: 1-5
People on the water: Myself, Barry, Ffrench, Coyle, Roisin, Jayne, Dylan, Liam Dixon
Description: Freeshhhhtyle
Recommendations for future trips: Remember to bring a spraydeck (Jayne. Cough), incorporate using technique when throwing moves rather than strength to avoid potential muscle pulling, take regular breaks. Most importantly: Tell Dave Coyle how long he's going to Tuam for :geek:
aislingcorrigan007@gmail.com

And then, I ran away.....

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Date: 17/02/2013
Level: 0.95
River Leader David Higgins
Start and Finish time of trip: on the water for 11.30, off the water around 14.20
People on the water: Myself Barry and Armon. Two juniors were making everyone else look bad aswell.
Description: The good level promised from previous days did not materialise, but good craic none the less
Recommendations for future trips: Splits? :shock: Get the impression some people are forgetting about filling out the register in the shed.... it's yer own money ye'r missing out on by doing this, and at this stage I think everyone can start to take a bit or responsibility for it. Do your best to remember, and if you do, remind everyone!

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:34 am

Date: 24/3/2013
Level: 4.7
Start and Finish time of trip: On the water at 2 and off just after 4
People on the water: Me, Keeva, Katie, Ash F, Barry and Cathal K
Description: Winter freestyle in March.
Recommendations for future trips:
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Mon May 13, 2013 9:28 am

Date: 12/5/2013
Level: 1.0
Start and Finish time of trip: 1:30 - 5:30ish shed to shed
People on the water: Me, Keeva, Mint, Dylan
Description: Freestyle

I get the feeling these are being forgotten.. Trip/River leaders are responsible for filling these out for all trips outside of the canal/lower/upriver. Stop forgetting :p
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Date: 19-20/10/2013
Level: Dam release
River Leader: Not really applicable.
Start and Finish time of trip: Very early in the morning to very late at night
People on the water: Me, Barry, Aisling Ffrench, Cathal Kelly
Description: Crana fest competition. Boater cross, freestyle, rafting and coaching. There's also slalom and sea kayak races we didn't compete in.
Recommendations for future trips: Make this a club trip! Really good weekend and the river would suit a wide range of skill levels. Between all the events and different coaching sessions there really would be something for everyone.
Also don't leave Sat morning, leave Fri night.
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

higgins2510
O.F.B.

Postby higgins2510 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Our debrief didn't last too long the last day, but this thread is as good a spot as any to make up for it. If anyone has any feedback, be it positive or negative (provided it's constructive! :wink: ) post up here. Things you liked about the trip are always worth mentioning to ensure that sort of thing happens again, and things you'd like to see improved or changed, again to better future trips.

Date: 17th Nov 2013
Level: High side of medium
River Leader Plenty of leading done by everyone at different stages I think
Start and Finish time of trip:Shed for 8.30, back to shed for 16.30ish?
People on the water: Myself, Rangor, The Cunt, Goof, Jayne, Roisin, Aisling B, Ciaran, Erin, Conor H, Philip...?
Description: Introduction to G3 river running for a few people, and a fantastic day on the Boluisce for everyone.
Recommendations for future trips: I really liked the amount of eddy-hopping going on, and I would love to see that implemented sooner rather than just blasting down rapids - much more practical, useful, and educational. Good to see the emphasis on when to scout a rapid also.

One thing I forgot to say at the debrief which I meant to, MORE THROWBAGS. I think pretty much everyone there had done an RSR or similar, but I think there was a total of 5 throwbags on the river, which really was far from ideal for a group that size. By rights everyone should have one

Conor McC

Postby Conor McC » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:53 pm

higgins2510 wrote:Recommendations for future trips: I really liked the amount of eddy-hopping going on, and I would love to see that implemented sooner rather than just blasting down rapids - much more practical, useful, and educational. Good to see the emphasis on when to scout a rapid also.

One thing I forgot to say at the debrief which I meant to, MORE THROWBAGS. I think pretty much everyone there had done an RSR or similar, but I think there was a total of 5 throwbags on the river, which really was far from ideal for a group that size. By rights everyone should have one

Can it be noted that the S Bend is completely unscoutable from the bank. There is enough space between the first eddy and the eddy with a view down the rapid to accommodate a group of at least 6.
0h87 two329two95
conormccomb at gmail dot com

Roisin M

Postby Roisin M » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:43 am

Date: 24th Nov 13
Level: Low
River Leader: Will Hurley
Start and Finish time of trip: Shed for 10 back for 4ish!
People on the water: Myself, Jayne, Aisling B, Philip, Will, Ultan, Alice, Meghan, Rose, Marcin, Arthur, Luke, Bradley, Staples, Elixa and Con
Description: Introduction to river running for the fantastic first timers, great day for everyone.
Recommendations for future trips: Decide wich get off your going to when doing shuttle. :-P
Roisin Millard

Roisin M

Postby Roisin M » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:22 am

Date: 14th Dec 13
Level: High
River Leader Rangor
Start and Finish time of trip: Eh shed for 9am back for 5pm ish
People on the water: Myself, Ian, Mint, Jayne, Dylan, Frenchy, Ultan.
Description: Grade 2 peer trip. We paddled for a bit. We got out, scouted and walked around a grade 3 rapid. We paddled a bit more, got to another grade three section and decided to get off as it wasnt safe.
Recommendations for future trips: Wind is bad and in a peer group its good to have a leader, its great everyone having an opinion but someones gota make the calls. :rofl:
Roisin Millard

Conor McC

Postby Conor McC » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:29 pm

Date: 16/12/2013
Level: 1.45m High side of medium
River Leader Conor
Start and Finish time of trip: 11am to 1pm
People on the water: Conor Ultan Corrigan
Description: We were hoping to run the waterfall in Oughterard then head to the Boluisce but there was a log stuck at the base of the falls and Boluisce water was turned off so we just ran the section below the waterfall a few times. Few holes to punch through an a slide at the end.
Recommendations for future trips: Remove log before running the falls.
0h87 two329two95
conormccomb at gmail dot com

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Date: 18/12/2013
Level: 0.9
River Leader Ger
Start and Finish time of trip: 10am to 3pm
People on the water: Roisin, Aisling B, Ger, Me
Description: Freestyle
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:54 pm

Date: 29/12/2013
Start and Finish time of trip: 10 to about 1
People on the water: Me, Ger, Jayne, Arthur, Marcin, Eoghan Dunne, Luke, Will
Description: Level 3 skills training
Recommendations for future trips: Find a river with more rapids.

Date: 30/12/2013
Start and Finish time of trip: 10 to about 2
People on the water: Me, Ger, Jayne, Will, Aisling Ffrench, Ian O'Connor, Louise (not a club member)
Description: Running the grade two sections with people in private gear running the higher graded sections. Worked on running rivers as a peer group and scouting.
Recommendations for future trips: Main slide is much easier to portage on river left bank but scouting seems easier from river right. When the level is that high it is worth while going to the longer start but there won't be water on that section at a normal level.
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

aherdman
PUMPKINS!!!

Postby aherdman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:15 pm

Date: 21/12/13
Level: Standard, not in flood.
River Leader Alan Herdman
Start and Finish time of trip: 12.00-15.30
People on the water: Aisling Brennan, Cathal Folan, Dylan Byrne, Eoghan Staunton, Alan Grealish, Bradley Skidmore, Kristina Beh, Rose Downes, Twin Staszek the First.
Description: A first year river trip in which we ran through some of the skills on the level 3 syllabus, basic river running knowledge and had an introduction to playholes.
Recommendations for future trips: Confirm that the advertised get-off point is indeed your get-off. Castleconnell is a grand old river, with a river-wide playspot just after the get-on and a fun rapid near the end which can be run multiple times. Solid paddlers, and alot of interest shown in playboating so it would be great to see a club Tuam trip organised for the new year.
Mobile: oh86-072seven754
I FUCKING LOVE PUMPKINS

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:54 pm

Date: 5/1/14
Level: 1.2 and falling
Start and Finish time of trip: Shed for half 9 followed by a lot of faffing and waiting on UL. Back by about half 4
People on the water: Me, Alan Herdman, Will Hurley, Bradley Skidmore, Andrew Regan and his 'UL friends'
Description: Intro to G3 and peer paddling for Brad, bitta lv4/leading practice for the lads. Nice to get a chance to do our local run with some new faces, also really cool to see so many people running top drop from one group! And it was pretty awesome to see first years dry heading G3 this early in the year!
Recommendations for future trips: Don't trust Will to wake up
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

willhurley1

Postby willhurley1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Everyone knows that already aran, a recommendation that everyone dosent know please
086 seven 3 double 9 double 4 1

Return to “Kayak Club General Chat”