Brad
G.M.I.T Secretary

Re: Club Trip Reports

Postby Brad » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Date: 25-02-2015
Level: 5ft-12ft forecasted
River Leader: Me
Start and Finish time of trip: Shed for 8am back for 5:30pm
People on the water: Me, Kevin, Cathal Kelly, Cathal Folan, Pumpkin, Erin, David, Conor, Diarmuid, Staples, Grealish, Rose, Fiona, Ailbhe, Fiontann, Luke, Rahel
Description: Surf trip originally planned for Spanish Point, some weren't content with the surf so we went to Doughmore where a big, crap break combined with an incoming tide made it difficult to say the least! However majority seemed happy punching through the big beach break and surfing it back in. Class to see the first years getting in there and heading back out there despite any swims that happened, it's that dedication that'll pay off in the long run! 8-)
Recommendations for future trips: When Spanish point gets suggested by multiple surfers and kayakers with valid reasoning and to stay away from Doughmore, understand why!!
Bradley Skidmore
085 one616two20
Marcin: Back paddling is like leg day, you just don't do it

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:58 pm

Date: 13/3/15
Level: 1.3
River leader: Myself
Start and finish time: Shed for 12, back for 6
Paddlers: Myself, Luke, Dave, Fiona, Artur, Marcin
Description: Classic good weather and good levels tuam trip. Also an intro to tuam for fiona. First years get out there!! :-P tunes were a great call!
Club gear used and condition returned in: Project 52- Good , 2xclub paddles - good , 2xclub decks RDMH - at least one needs repair, club helmet - good
Recommendations for future trips: More tunes
Ronan Stapleton

CathalFolan

Postby CathalFolan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:18 pm

Date: 28 March 2015

Level: Low

River Leader: Me apparently?

Start and Finish time: 10am - 4pm

Paddlers: Me, Staples, Luke, Jamie, Fiona, Grealish, David, Diarmuid, Brad.

Description: First year Boluisce trip

Recommendation for future trips: Bring spare paddles for Fiona

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:09 pm

So the first "club" trip of the year went well..

Date: Sept 11th 2015

Level: Ooh Boys. It was good and high.

River Leader: Me I guess.

Start and finish time: Shed for about 6:30 and we got off when it got dark.

Padders: Me, Kevin Foynes, Staples, Luke, Artur, Ronan Shaw, Conor McC was official safety person. We split into two groups.

Description: Few quick blasts down the Kip at a good high level. First two laps went great, no mishaps at all. On the last lap Artur got stuck in hilton and swam. We got him and his paddles back but the boat (and his pants) went walkies. Knowing the Kip its just stuck in a tree down by the lake so we should be able to get it back. (EDIT: Boat found)

Recommendation for future trips: High level Hilton is mean. Also ALWAYS wear long pants on the Kip.

New hazards: The construction at the bridge means that there's a good chance you won't fit under it regardless of the level. Since construction is on going make sure you scout before getting on as the eddys below the bridge have some metal bars in them so trying to catch them isn't the best idea in the world.
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

willhurley1

Postby willhurley1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:33 pm

Just wondering if there has been any trip since the one Aran did in September.

There most likely has, but they really should be posted up here and not just for the craic. It is an important resource for past members to check and see how the club is doing and also a great resource for new members to see how active the club is. A new member is more likely to join and keep coming back if they see we do a trip every week.

It basically looks like that no club trip has been done since September. Any trip whether to Dublin, Cork or to the Alps or even down to the rapids anything using club gear outside of the regular sessions should be written up.
086 seven 3 double 9 double 4 1

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:22 pm

Date: 30th & 31st December '15

Level: Probably medium - high, there had been loads of rain the night before but it was not washed out. Held water for the second day without additional rain.

River Leader: Mise

Start and finish time: 30th, on water for 3, walked off after a swim at half 4, 31st, on water for midday off at 4.

Paddlers: Myself, Luke, Artur, Marcin, Armon, Higgins, Sarah, Rob. Split into 2 groups.

Description: The upper part that everyone bar Sarah got on is a continuous grade 3+ read and run bouldery tree section. Nothing too sticky at first but the river steepens up after a bit in the same style with the addition of strainers. Nearly mandatory portage due to a strainer nearing the end of the first section.
The second section which we all got on is an easier section with a few wave trains and less overhanging branches.

Location: Follow the directions for the Behy river on IWW, here , but continue on the N70 until the first left. Take the left and continue down that road until the third right. Keep going for around 2km until you cross over a bridge. This is the geton. The get off is the geton according to the IWW guide, marked by a schoolhouse on river right after a bridge.

Hazards: Beware of the strainers, and get out on river right, in emergency, is generally a brambly nightmare.

Future recommendations:
Be cautious of light levels, we nearly got caught for time both days, especially due to having to deal with swims. An undiscovered gem!
Ronan Stapleton

Brad
G.M.I.T Secretary

Postby Brad » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Date: 17/01/16

Level: Predicted 7-12ft with strong enough off shore winds

Trip Leader: Myself I guess

Start and Finish time: Shed for 11 back by 5:30

Paddlers: Brad, Luke, Aine, Fiona

Description: Surf trip along with some board surfing also! Started off with really clean sets, pretty perfect for all skill levels. Was joined by about 15 surfers (as expected when going to Lahinch) but also around 6 other kayakers. Was definitely a dividing line between the boardie's and the goat boaters..kept everyone nice and happy as a result! Wind started to pick up and become cross-shore so the beach emptied over the stage of half an hour or so.

Recommendation for future trips: A few flasks of something warm would of went a long way..the moment you stopped being active you got destroyed by a cold wind.
Also just in general....surf etiquette goes a long way to keeping everyone happy on a beach. Especially when going to a beach that isn't as long as Lahinch where you can stay well away from other people. Spending 5 minutes to read or watch a video on the topic will go a long way!
Bradley Skidmore
085 one616two20

Brad
G.M.I.T Secretary

Postby Brad » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Date: 27/02/16

Level: Predicted 5-8ft with slight offshore winds

Trip Leader: Kevin

Start and Finish time: Shed for 10 back by 5ish

Paddlers: Kevin, Aran, Ella, Laoise, Lucien, Daniel, Jocelyn, Staples, Seamus, Luke, Robert Ka

Description: Surf trip in some beautiful conditions...in the sunshine!

Recommendation for future trips: It's most definitely starting to warm up now so should start taking full advantage before the swell dies down in the summer! Just a few notes about the beach that aren't immediately obvious-
The left that breaks over by the rocks just beyond the beach break, is actually a reef break. If the swell is packing a punch, just a word of caution. But you should be more than fine in a boat!
On the right hand side of the beach, there is a channel that runs parallel to the beach out back. With incoming tides and with some swell, this channel is capable of carrying you down parallel along the beach pretty rapidly. As always, keep an eye on each other when out, and pick some references points (buildings, steps, lifeguard tower etc) before heading out and check where you are in relation to them regularly 8-)
Bradley Skidmore
085 one616two20

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:47 pm

DATE: 25/3/16

TRIP LEADER: peer group

PADDLERS: staples, Aoife Hanrahan, rob Kierans, Luke Whelan

DESCRIPTION: Friday afternoon spring trip to oranmore

FUTURE RECOMMENDATIONS: get out more often.

CLUB GEAR USED: rad 180, returned in same condition. Slight leak in bow screw holding front pillar in. Otherwise perfect.
Ronan Stapleton

Staples
First Year Rep.

Postby Staples » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:53 pm

DATE: 26/3/16

DESCRIPTION: Level 4 assessment, all passed

TRIP LEADER: Shane McElliot

PADDLERS: Staples, Aoife H, Brad, Luke W

FUTURE RECOMMENDATIONS: MORE ASSESSMENTS!!

CLUB GEAR USED: bivvy bag X2, club splits X2, spare bungs X3. All returned in same as condition.
Ronan Stapleton

DiarmuidM

Postby DiarmuidM » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:17 pm

Date: 25/9/16
Level: 113cm
River Leader Aran Kilroy
Start and finish time: Shed for 12, back for 6.
People on the water: Aran, Brad, Diarmuid, Eoin, Ella, Laoise
Description: Ella, Laoise and Eoin's first run of the Boluisce. Great trip all round with possibly the first C1 run of Top Drop from Eoin. Ella and Laoise did fantastic with Laoise running Poll Gorm dry headed on her first try.
Recommendations for future trips: Make sure you have your drysuit in the car and not on the table in the shed. :$ Maybe bring something to clear out the trees around S-Bend, they've started to get hard to get around/through.
Diarmuid Magorrian
Captain
captain@nuigkc.com

l.whelan11
Treasurer

Postby l.whelan11 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Date: 18/03/17

Level: 1.4-1.5

Trip Leader: Aran Kilroy

Start and Finish time: Shed for 11 back by 6

Paddlers: Aran, Emmet, Laoise, Aine, Carey, Aoife and myself.

Description: Lovely day on the river overall, couple of hiccups that were managed fairly well in my opinion. First time on the river for Aoife, Emmet and Carey which was cool to see. Started from the lake, everyone ran the mellow section at the top, and hopped out to scout/portage the steeper section (which three of us ran). One unlucky swim on the steeper top section, swimmer (and paddles) rescued in the eddy. Boat was later recovered about 100 m below top drop. Everyone ran top drop ducky style, it was absolutely mental. Nah jk, it was just Aran and me. Continued on fine until a pin occurred at that annoying tree near the bottom of the slalom section, which caused a small pile up and two swims. People/boats/paddles recovered. Soldiered on until S bend, where two more swims occurred. All gear recovered/retained up to this point. Two more swims at footbridge, which resulted in a broken paddle and a lost paddle. Scouted/portaged rock garden, went grand, ran the remaining rapids up to poll gorm without incidence. Scouted poll gorm due to reports of a tree being lodged in the rock under the bridge, which turned out to be true, and quite nasty looking. All in all...eventful! But everyone came off the river mostly happy with the day, as far as I could tell.

Recommendation for future trips: This might sound like a lie but we actually approached everything pretty cautiously, which paid off...didn't need more carnage than we already had. Having said that I think it was a very beneficial trip for everyone, everyone learned something. Good call by Aran to bring two sets of splits, which we ended up needing. Laoise suggested a brief refresher on defensive/offensive swimming at the start, which was also helpful. Instructors (i.e. me) should take care when leading at the tree below the slalom section, two swims could have been avoided here. Might be no harm to emphasise how low the footbridge is as well, as this was the cause of the broken paddle. And keep an eye out for trees that might get stuck in poll gorm, particularly after storms etc!
Luke Whelan

Could've been a little bit higher

Aran K
Admin
Admin

Postby Aran K » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:25 pm

l.whelan11 wrote:Continued on fine until a pin occurred at that annoying tree near the bottom of the slalom section, which caused a small pile up and two swims.

We actually really need to cut this tree and/or the ones on the far side of the river, it's becoming a pretty big hazard.
Anyone headed out over the next while try and remember a saw and take 15min to cut it out.
O86 66I9792
aran361 at gmail.com

Return to “Kayak Club General Chat”